Sunday, 6 August 2017

July Review: Aunt Dimity's Death - Nancy Atherton

Greetings Readers!

I'm here to review Aunt Dimity's Death by Nancy Atherton, this is the first in the "An Aunt Dimity Mysteries" series.  I think it came up as recommendation on Goodreads based on some of my previous reads.  It's listed as a cosy mystery, but I feel it spans a few different genres.  This book doesn't really sit beside your traditional Agatha Christie novels or the Aurora Teagarden novels (see my previous reviews).  For me this book was split between cosy mystery, supernatural, fairytale and romance, but it all comes together to make a very enjoyable read.



A synopsis of the plot in my own words
When Lori Shepherd was a young girl she used to listen to her mother tell tales of Aunt Dimity - a character in comforting bedtime stories. When she is contacted by Willis and Willis, Lori's life is on a downward spiral when she hears she has inherited the forture of Aunt Dimity!  Aunt Dimity was a real person and was her mother's friend and now Lori must find the secret hidden among the letters between her mother and Aunt Dimity, and discover truths about herself along the way.

The plot seems to stroll along and draw you into the worlds of both Lori and Aunt Dimity. The relationship between Lori and Bill adds a subtle romantic undertone, the hidden secret in the letters between Aunt Dimity and Lori's mother supplies the story with it's mystery, whilst the loving spirit of Aunt Dimity gives the story a supernatural twist. 

Personally I found the charm of the whole story enthralling, it's what I like to call a comfort read.  The only thing that would make it better is to curl up under a big blanket with a hot chocolate and read it in one sitting, and whilst our summer in the UK hasn't been that kind in terms of sunshine, big blankets and open fires have not been a necessity!

Bookworm Blessings! 




1 comment:

  1. Lovely well written account x I do love to read your book reviews they are always interesting and full x Thank you for sharing x

    ReplyDelete

Greetings, thank you for taking some time out to read my ramblings. I hope you enjoyed this post. If you did please leave me a comment, reading them makes me happy. If you sign in using your blog ULR I will make time to pop over to your blog too. Blessings, Tracy x